Whole Grain Blueberry Muffins
Celebrate the fresh BC berries of summer with wholesome, homemade muffins. Feel free to experiment with whichever berries are in season in your community. If you’re able, get the children involved in picking or selecting the berries. Children can help measuring and mixing the ingredients and scooping into the muffin cups.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease or line a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the applesauce, sugar, buttermilk, vegetable oil and egg.
- Gently shake the dry ingredients into the wet, giving the mixture a stir every few shakes. Stir in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter evenly into the muffin tin cups, filling only two-thirds of the way, and pop them in the oven for 20 minutes. They're done when they're firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Note: Childcare facilities with 8 or more children should check with their Licensing Officer about what is needed to serve food.