4. SUPPORT CHILDREN TO BECOME GOOD EATERS.
Healthy infants and children know how much food and drink they need to grow and develop. Trust a child’s appetite to eat and grow. Each meal and snack time provides an opportunity for children to learn to accept new foods at their own pace and feed themselves.
BRITISH COLUMBIA CHILD CARE LICENSING REGULATION:
- Food and drink are not used as a form of reward or punishment for children. heart
- Children are not forced to consume any food or drink. heart
- Children are not fed by means of a propped bottle. heart
- Set regular times for meals and snacks.
- Allow children 20-30 minutes to enjoy meals or snacks
- Let a child’s hunger and fullness cues guide you. It’s ok if a child does not finish a meal or snack, or refuses to try or taste a new food.
- Offer safe healthy foods and let children serve themselves, choosing from the options provided (offer help when needed).
- Encourage self-feeding skills and expect a mess.