Jack and Jill
This activity aims to develop the fundamental movement skills of balance, locomotion (walking, running), and coordination.
- Place beanbags (or other soft objects) around the room.
- Have the children stand in a circle and place a bucket in a central location.
- Ask the child to find a beanbag and place the beanbag on their head.
- With the beanbag on the child’s head, ask them to walk to the bucket and dump the bean bag in.
- The goal is to work as a team to collect all the beanbags and fill the bucket.
Change it Up/Adaptations/Additional Options:
- For children with impairments in flexibility or gross motor skills, encourage them to perform the movements as much as they can, understanding that it may look different than other participants.
- For a child with a visual impairment, provide an auditory signal to show them where the bucket in the middle of the space is.
- If you have a participant who uses a wheelchair, be intentional around the movement
Source: Hop, Skip and a Jump