This activity will make children curious about their food and encourage them to try new food.
A cardboard box
A hand towel to cover the top of the box
A vegetable or fruit
How to Play
- Choose any food to put into the box. Vegetables or fruit with a hard peel work best.
- Make sure children do not see you putting the food in the box.
- Ask the students to feel the food, describe the shape and texture, and guess what it might be.
- Remove the food and observe its shape and colour.
- Ask the children to identify the food.
- Ask them what food group it belongs to.
- Ask them what can be made using this food.
- Cut the food to observe the inside (pits, seeds, core, peel, juicy vs. dry).
- Prepare the food in a dish, serve, and enjoy.
Adapted from Healthy After Schools