2. MAKE WATER AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT THE DAY.
Healthy and active children need to drink regularly.
BRITISH COLUMBIA CHILD CARE LICENSING LICENSING REGULATION:
- Safe drinking water is available to children. heart
- Offer water as the best choice to satisfy thirst.
- Offer water any time a child is thirsty.
- A child can be offered small amounts of water in a cup starting at six months.
- If offering juice to children, choose 100% fruit juice – less is best
- Babies – juice is not recommended for babies under 6 months old.
- Children –offer no more than 125 ml (1/2 cup) 100% fruit juice each day as part of a meal or snack.
- Use a lidless cup if offering juice to children. Drinking juice from a sippy cup or bottle can lead to dental decay.
- Sugary drinks are not recommended for children. These drinks include pop, juice cocktails, energy drinks, sweetened iced teas, sports drinks, fruit punch and other fruit or vegetable drinks that are not 100% juice.
Suggestion: Look for labels that say “100% juice” and “no sugar added” when choosing a juice to offer to children.