1. OFFER A VARIETY OF FOODS FROM CANADA'S FOOD GUIDE FOR MEALS AND SNACKS.
Good nutrition supports the healthy growth and development of children.
BRITISH COLUMBIA CHILD CARE LICENSING REGULATION:
- Plan menus using Canada’s Food Guide. heart
- Promote healthy eating and nutritional habits. heart
- Food and drink given to a child is sufficient in quantity and quality to meet the developmental needs of the child. heart
Use Canada’s Food Guide as a guide to make healthy meals or snacks.
• Vegetables and fruits make up ½ of the plate at meals and snacks
• Protein foods (including legumes, nuts, seeds, tofu, fortified soy beverage, fish, shellfish, eggs, poultry, lean red meat including wild game, lower fat milk, lower fat yogurts, lower fat kefir, and cheeses lower in fat and sodium make up ¼ of the plate
• Whole grain foods make up ¼ of the plate
• At snacks, choose a vegetable or fruit and include either a protein food or whole grain food
• Water is the recommended drink of choice.
Important: Childcare facilities should check with their Licensing Officer about what is needed to serve food.