10 Fun "Non Food" Rewards
The intentions are good – rewarding good behavior in children reinforces the behaviour. But, it also reinforces the rewards!
Giving children dessert, candy and pizza as rewards for a job well done, no matter how small, does not set a good example for kids. Moreover, there are so many better rewards that could be used.
In no particular order, here are ten "non food" rewards you can use to reward good behaviour:
1. Extra time for free play.
2. A dance party.
3. Dress up (or down) days (PJs, costumes (like superheroes), fancy clothes, or whatever).
4. Putting the kids in charge of schedule for the day.
5. Painting a hallway or classroom mural.
6. Stickers or temporary tattoos.
7. Sit wherever you want for a period of time (teacher's chair, floor, under the table).
8. Take home a favourite toy for a night.
9. Phone a child's parents to tell them how terrific their child is.
10. Playing their favourite game for a longer period of time.
Source: Adapted from Dr. Yoni Freedhoff http://www.weightymatters.ca/